Keeping an accurate, up-to-date server inventory allows you, your department, and the IT Security Office to collaborate and quickly respond to security incidents.
- Register servers with your department’s inventory system. An inventory system should include at least these things:
- What is the purpose of the server?
- What software is the server running?
- Where is the server located?
- Who is responsible for maintaining the server?
- Phone number
- Send the IT Security Office a list of high risk servers.
- Update the inventory system annually.
- Update the list of high risk servers annually.
If you have questions that are not covered in this procedure, please contact the Virginia Tech IT Security Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for a consultation.