The Windows Rights Management System (also called Active Directory Rights Management Services or RMS) is information protection technology that works with RMS-enabled applications to help safeguard digital information from unauthorized use. RMS uses encryption to provide a form of functional denial to limit access to documents to certain individuals. It is compatible with many Microsoft document formats and email. Departments using RMS can embed policies in documents, allowing certain individuals or groups to access the documents. Specific operations like copying, editing, printing, forwarding, and deleting can also be limited to specific policy groups or deployed in RMS templates for larger departments. The RMS is one of the tools available for users to be in compliance with the VA Tech Sensitive Data standards
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Cost for Rights Management System?
Users will be responsible for obtaining the appropriate licensing for AD RMS, for more information contact Departmental Software at either 231-4736 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What minimum requirements are there to use RMS?
- OS Requirement: Windows Vista, 7, 8 and Server 2008/2012
- Users must be a part of the HOKIES Active Directory Domain
- Users must be using Microsoft Windows and one of the following Microsoft Office products
- Microsoft Office System 2003 - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Microsoft Office 2007 or later - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, InfoPath
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Exchange Server 2007
- Exchange Server 2010
- XPS (XML Paper Specification) v1.0
- Internet Explorer (through use of the RM Add-on for IE)
Can AD RMS be used with PDF files or non-Microsoft Office documents?
Yes, but there is a cost associated with purchasing any additional plugin from Liquid Machines to support additional formats.
How do I sign up for RMS?
To setup RMS for your departmental deployment please submit a Request through 4Help and include "Attention: CCS - RMS" to set up a meeting with the RMS Manager. During the initial meeting we will try to determine the number of policies you need, what rights each policy will require, and who will have access to the policy.
What are the limitations?
- RMS is currently restricted internal Virginia Tech use.
- RMS cannot be used with the Linux platforms.
- Microsoft Office document formats only unless a third party plug-in is purchased